Balance is but a brief transition between extremes.
- Trend Line is a 49 SMA of price.
- DL is the "Dotted Line" Intermediate Term indicator, which is a 16ma of the 3-10 MACD.
- SL is the "Solid Line", ie, Short Term indicator, which is the 3-10 MACD.
An imaginative leap is taken for position trading. Chick assigns each of the three main components a value of +1, 0, or -1 depending if the indicator is moving up, sideways, or down as follows:
- Long Term49/50 sma (1 pt), also called the Direction Line
- Intermediate16ma of 3-10 MACD, also called the Confirming Line (+/- .5 trend, +/- .5 when above/below zero), and can lag 5 days
- Short Term3-10 MACD value (1 pt), aka the Timing Line
One then counts only the positive contributions when the trend is up, or only the negative values when down. +/- 2 is considered bullish or bearish, and values between +/- 1.5 are considered neutral (ie, no position).
Finally, to eliminate lag and anticipate a change in the Position Indicator, the past values of both the 49 sma and the 16 ma on the 3-10 MACD are reviewed to see if a lower or higher value is being "dropped" off by the ma calculation.
All things considered, a very sensible approach.
At last, over the rim
of the waiting earth
the moon lifted with
till it swung clear of the horizon and rode off,
free of moorings
- Kenneth Grahame,
The Wind in the Willows